[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Philosophy article in NYTimes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:15:00 -0700

On Apr 15, 2008, at 9:05 AM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

Thank you for that very nice posting on my question, Judy. I was thinking there
was a punchline to the question as raised by .....?

Hegel, Collingwood and Gadamer Forever (but only sometimes:)

I'm missing your point. Our lists have Collingwood in common. This (below) from Wikipedia's list of prominent intellectual historians.

Perhaps you are suggesting that those who write about ideas in the context of their times are not only not philosophers, they are also not historians with a "bent" for philosophy. They are something else, intellectuals perhaps, or members of the clerisy?

David Ritchie,
student of H. Stuart Hughes
Perry Anderson
Mikhail Bakhtin