[lit-ideas] Fw: State of the Union

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:23:33 -0500

Borowitz Report Email

----- Original Message -----
From: borowitzreport.com
To: molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:13 AM
Subject: State of the Union

            Having trouble reading this email? Click here to view online.

                  January 25, 2012
            Obama Risks Alienating Republicans By Using Facts
            Radical Tactic Sparks Outrage

            WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – In what some critics are calling
the most radial tactic ever employed in a State of the Union Address, President
Barack Obama risked alienating congressional Republicans last night by
repeatedly using facts.

            Mr. Obama stirred controversy throughout the speech with his
relentless references to facts, data, and things that have actually happened,
all long considered the third rail of American politics.

            As the President made reference to tax rates and unemployment
numbers, as well as sixteen separate mentions of Osama bin Laden, congressional
Republicans’ blood began to boil.

            After the speech, a furious Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
told reporters, “It’s been a longstanding tradition in our politics not to use
facts in a State of the Union Address, a tradition the President chose to
ignore in an outrageous way tonight.  I won’t stand for it and the American
people won’t stand for it.”

            “We want to work with the President for the good of the American
people,” added House Speaker John Boehner.  “But he’s going to have to take
facts off the table.  That’s a deal-breaker for us.”

            The President did not mention any of his GOP presidential rivals by
name in his speech, but at one point said that government should be “leaner,” a
blatant jab at former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

            Get the Borowitz Report delivered to your inbox for free here.

                     Upcoming Events
                  February 28, 2012 at 07:30 PM

                  Los Angeles!
                  In his only scheduled West Coast show, Andy appears in
conversation with Patton Oswalt.

                  Location:
                  Saban Theater, 8440 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90211
                  For tickets go to Borowitz in LA

                  April 03, 2012 at 06:00 PM

                  Mark Twain’s House!
                  Andy will perform a special show at the Mark Twain Boyhood
Home and Museum in Hannibal, MO.  Afterwards he'll be signing copies of his new
book, The 50 Funniest American Writers.

                  Location:
                  120 N. Main St., Hannibal, MO 63401
                  For tickets go to Andy Borowitz at Mark Twain's House

            The Borowitz Report: Waste Someone's Time: Forward to a Friend.

                  Sign up today for your own Borowitz Reports.
                 Remove me from this list.