[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: practicalities, hoaxes and holidays

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:32:18 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
Sent: Dec 23, 2004 2:23 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: practicalities, hoaxes and holidays

In a message dated 12/20/2004 10:24:40 AM Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Religion  has little or nothing to do with Christmas.  It's much more a
winter  solstice thing, and now it's become fundamental to the American
economy.
Since American consumption drives the world economy, it's fundamental to the
world.  Do Europeans do Christmas?  Is it as consumption driven as  American
Christmas?

HI,
Sorry to have taken Time to think about how to answer this.  But, it  is
intriguing as to how many different lists I am on also discuss this issue
almost
always during the Holiday Season.  The person who shared this piece  with me
also wondered as to what makes the difference in people who are able to
appreciate and enjoy the various holidays no matter if they are of that
particular
religion celebrating the particular holiday or not.  She  wondered if it had
to do with having a secure sense of self or not.

A.A.  Talking to you about religion is like talking to Lawrence about war.
Fortunately for the two of you, religion and war are here to stay, so enjoy.
As to thinking the Christmas tree is related to pagan times and the placement
of the holiday around the shortest day of the year is really a self esteem
issue, all I can say is, don't that beat all.  Also, a Jewish person endorsing
Christmas proves what exactly?  That he has high self esteem?  Or that
Christians persecuted Jews relentlessly throughout history and maybe Christmas
was a reprieve before the next attack?  Marlena, I'm speechless.  Enjoy your
shopping and gift giving, which unfortunately can't be done any other time of
year.

Personally, I think in addition to coopting a pagan holiday, Christmas is an
excuse for a short period of luvy duvy that makes holy war acceptable,
including pograms.  But, you see, I have self esteem issues, so I can't help
thinking this.

Andy Amago

Hoping you can see the good in Christmas,
Marlena in Missouri