[lit-ideas] Fw: Re: Virility and Slaughter

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:03:32 -0800 (PST)

The unanswerable question, why war.  Frontline last night did a show on credit
cards.  I personally pay the entire balance every month, but it was interesting
to note that the banks are a bunch of predators, even declaring that it was
"bad legislation" to let consumers know how long it would take them to pay off
their balances at the monthly minimum of 2% (something like 35 years assuming
no additional purchases).  It's part of the war mentality as far as I'm
concerned.  Rip someone off just to rip them off, like the pharmaceutical
companies.  Like there's not enough money to be made without predatory
practices.  Banks cull customers with surgical precision, looking for those who
make minimum payments, the way any predator targets any prey.

I didn't know that MBNA and the other banks make about half of their revenues
on fees, the rest on interest rates of up to 30% after a come-on 0% which they
can change anytime they want to 30%, even for a late payment on someone else's
card years ago.  Government agencies don't care.  The main oversight agency
didn't care until it became a turf war with the Los Angeles DA's office, after
which they slapped Providian's wrists.  Congress is in no hurry to regulate the
banking industry either.  I wonder how much funding they do of campaigns,
snicker snicker.

And now, the posts defending the credit card industry's right to charge and the
consumer's God-given right to pay 30% interest plus exorbitant fees.

Andy Amago