[lit-ideas] Fw: Re: Re: Giving Thanksgiving

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 00:04:55 -0800 (PST)

Posting this again, apparently the server doesn't like to hear any criticisms
of the liberal thinkers, lol.

From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 5:21 AM

I would add the authors of The Federalist Papers (Alexander Hamilton and James
Madison), together with Locke and Hume, De Tocqueville and Montesquieu, and,
more recently  Dewey, Rawls, and Rorty. Quite interesting, isn't it, to
exclude, if only by neglect, the major theorists of liberal democracy from the
category "major thinkers."

John

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Omar:Is there a major thinker that wasn't linked to totalitarianism in some way
or other ?

Thomas Jefferson.  Even though he held slaves.  He knew it was wrong.  But
slave holding in those days wasn't in and of itself totalitarian.  A major
thread through the economic system.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI