[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Lighting Fools: Reflections on an Image in Macbeth's "Tomorrow" Soliloquy

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:13:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 3, 2005 4:28 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Lighting Fools: Reflections on an Image in
Macbeth's "Tomorrow" Soliloquy

Maybe it's that the hypostasis of the original Macbeth is burial or
going to sleep, while the hypostasis of the rewrite is waking up happy?

It's easy to feel depressed when very tired, and to confuse the two states.

A.A. Sorry, I don't follow you here at all.  I don't see Shakespeare's lines as
tending toward the hypostatis (that sent me to the dictionary and I still don't
know what it means) of burial or going to sleep.  Burial and sleeping are
hardly the same.  Shakespeare is, it seems to me, getting at the ephemeralness,
the essential nothingness of life.  He's almost invalidating the whole point of
Macbeth battling for power.  Likewise when Hamlet asks who would want to hang
around except that we don't know what's on the other side.  Shakespeare by all
accounts had a successful life, which doens't necessarily mean he was happy.
Happy or not, he was successful in his day because he understood intuitively
what resonated with people, and he still resonates.  I can imagine a version
where Macbeth and Lady Macbeth sell the castle and retire in North Carolina,
but Shakespeare wouldn't have written it.

Andy

Best,
Eric