[lit-ideas] Fw: Re: Lighting Fools: Reflections on an Image in Macbeth's "Tomorrow" Soliloquy

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:04:38 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

No, really, this rewrite is quite excellent.  I said Milton because I remember
Milton having the joy, if you will, that accompanies religious certainty.
There are sonnets where he questions his accomplishments, but for the most part
Milton's world was uncluttered with shades of gray the way Shakespeare's is.
My remembrance might be in as parallel a universe as this rewrite, but that's
the aura that surrounds Milton for me decades after reading him.

Andy

It was Shakespeare who doomed him.  This level of exuberance isn't even found
in the comedies.  This sounds more like Milton.