[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Autographs (was Re: US exports)

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:32:49 -0500

Andy wrote: "I think my point, which will never be understood, God bless
big pharma, is that if the FDA was doing its job, people would not need
to die before a drug is pulled off the market.  If the FDA were doing
its job, bad drugs would never get on the market.  Instead, the industry
does its own testing of its drugs."

_____

I showed this comment to a physician, who essentially agrees with Andy's
point. Independent studies are the exception in medical literature now.
Almost all studies published in medical journals are sponsored by the
pharmaceutical industry itself. There are few follow-up studies, and
profit pushes these drugs to market, not public safety concerns.

Pharmaceutical giants are so powerful they are undermining their own
industry. They tell doctors what to do, and the safety of drugs is
suspect. Rather than counsel lifestyle changes, doctors are urged to
push the latest chemical fix on their patients.

Public need also takes a back seat to profit margins. For example, the
most recent antibiotics were developed in the '70s. Research instead is
focused on very expensive products like tumor-necrosis factors that
maximize profit.

Eric