[lit-ideas] Fw: Qua Si Quid

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:37:07 -0500

Competent Adult Language User: 'Why is that called a cup?'
Child: 'Because it's a cup.'

----

I hope the implicature is not that child is incompetent. In some ways, children
(or 'kids', as they call them in Tennessee) are like _peasants_ (as they call
them in Philadelphia).

Huxley has the memorable quote, "Rightly them's called 'pigs'".

One problem with the Latino-philosophical variant, 'koine', qua si que is that
if the que is an enclitic, would be read by McCreery as 'and' (tuquoque Brute),
i.e. as 'qua sique' -- roughly, "and then -- what?", or as I prefer, "qua
sivel" "_or_ then _what_? (+> "Are you threatening me _or what_ (quidvel).

While a cup is called a cup because it is a cup, a quack-quack is calls a
quackquack not so much because it  _is_ a duck, but because, to use Eve
Kotowski Sedgewick's parlance, it _performs_ 'duck'.

JL

Get the MapQuest Toolbar, Maps, Traffic, Directions & More!

Get the MapQuest Toolbar, Maps, Traffic, Directions & More!