[lit-ideas] From the Edge of the American West -- Dean Acheson, Funnier Than You Think

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:37:21 -0400

Which may not be a high bar to clear, but still. From Present at the Creation,
p. 71.

Without warning, a hurricane struck. The word is used advisedly to describe a
severe cyclonic disturbance caused by hot air revolving counterclockwise (in
fact, it turned the clock back about four months). Its center was filled with a
large mass of cumulonimbus cloud, often called Arthur Vandenberg, producing
heavy word fall. Senator Vandenberg, for whom I came to have great respect and
considerable affection, had the rare capacity for instant indignation, often
before he understood an issue, or even that there was one.

Why do I find myself thinking of so many posts to the Net?

John

Sent from my iPad