[lit-ideas] From Malmesbury to The House

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:35:08 EDT

Malmesburiensis Oxoniano

From the online site referred to by D. Ritchie and commented on by J.
Evans:

"Organisers hope to build on a successful festival celebrating the life and
 work of the 17th century philosopher Thomas Hobbes, who was from the area.
The  third annual Hobbes festival concluded yesterday after two days of
events in the  town.
Planned "philosophy town" events include a festival of history, ideas  and
philosophy and an all-night examination of enlightenment.
Also planned is  a long-distance walk from Oxford through Malmesbury and on
to Wrington in  Somerset, birthplace of John Locke."

-----

I like the idea of the long-distance walk. But I'd make it  "TO" Oxford,
rather than "FROM" Oxford. Note that, of course, Hobbes, and Locke,  have
strong Oxford connections. Indeed, Locke with the best Oxford college --  EVER:
Christ Church, where a beautiful painting hangs. The tour should include
actual visits to the actual birthplaces of Hobbes and Locke, etc.

I like the idea of dramatising philosophical texts, and perhaps they may
hold an 'implicature quiz', too.

Speranza
------

------- who likes to read from I. M. Hacking, "Why does language matter to
philosophy?" that Hobbes was a pre-Gricean, and from Colin McGinn, that
Locke's  'telementational' model is Gricean in nature.

-----

from wiki:

"Christ Church (Latin: Ædes Christi, the temple (æděs) or house (ædēs) of
Christ, and thus sometimes known as The House), is one of the largest
constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England."

Thomæ Hobbes Malmesburiensis Opera philosophica quæ latine ... - Google
Books Result
Thomas Hobbes, Sir William Molesworth -  1839
books.google.com/books?id=Yl4NAAAAYAAJOnline Library of Liberty -  English
Works of

Thomas Hobbes, 11 vols.
The English Works of Thomas Hobbes of  Malmesbury; Now First Collected and
Edited
by Sir William Molesworth, Bart.,  (London: Bohn, 1839-45). 11 vols. ...

oll.libertyfund.org/%3Foption%3Dcom_s... - Cached - Similar