[lit-ideas] From Iguaçu to Buenos Ayres: the Coward Diaries -- and beyond

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:23:20 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2010 4:22:41 A.M. Time,  mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
: In cowardly vein, JLS described Noel's  arrival in Argentina via the
falls. A friend told me that the best view of  the falls is on the
Argentine side.

--- Yes.

I wouldn't know exactly what route Coward followed. If you look at a map,
that river is quite a bother. It's the Parana. I am familiar with the way
the  river 'ends' on the River Plate.

I wouldn't know WHERE he got ONTO the boat. Surely the "Falls" (Iguacu --
with 's' under the 'c' -- or Iguazu) is pretty turbulent, so I wouldn't know
 where exactly you take the boat. But it would have taken like quite a bit
to  descend downstream from the Falls to the Harbour of Buenos Ayres.

-----

It is my understanding that Coward went to Chile after the Buenos Ayres
stay. And he must have arrived to Rio (where the South American leg of his
trip  started) by transatlantic.

----- The trip was just a necessity for Coward since he had suffered a
mental breakdown, if that's the word. It was that busy year in London when he
had presented "Cavalcade" and other gems. And the critics were always so
violent  against him.

---- (A workaholic, plus, he was).

---

If he arrived in the Harbour of Buenos Ayres, he is never too clear where
in Buenos Ayres he stayed. He mainly focuses on how boring the Brits were --
who  approached him and wanted him to be JUST with them. He makes the
comment that  the whole point of visit a country is to mix with the locals
rather
than with  the expats. And makes this passing reference to Guedala.

I first thought he was being ironic (like, "who cares for Guedala") -- but
I did find Guedala's exquisite "Argentine tango" -- his memoirs in Buenos
Aires  -- and possibly Coward was slightly envious of the way Guedala had
been a sort  of 'darling' of Society --. He was Oxford educated, too, as I
recall, which  Coward wasn't (and somewhat resented). (In Coward's case, he
never was  'educated', never mind Oxford -- his classrooms were the stages of
London).

-----

Etc.

Speranza------Bordighera

Iguazu Falls, Iguassu Falls, or Iguaçu Falls (Portuguese: Cataratas do
Iguaçu [kataˈɾatɐz du iɡwaˈsu]; Spanish: Cataratas del Iguazú [kataˈɾataz
ðel  iɣwaˈsu]) are waterfalls of the Iguazu River located on the border of
the  Brazilian State of Paraná and the Argentine Province of  Misiones