[lit-ideas] Re: Four seconds

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:08:19 +0900

The best book I ever read on Web design puts it all in the title:

_Don't Make Me Think!_

John

On 11/10/06, Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Websites face four-second cut-off. Shoppers are likely to abandon a website
if  it takes
> longer than four seconds to load, a survey suggests.

Yep.

And it's actually worse.

- The website must open within three seconds.

- The website has two seconds to make its pitch. If the customer doesn't
clearly understand
the offer within two seconds, she's gone. She just hits Backspace and returns
to Google to
look at the next website.

- The page must show the offer, along with payment form, on one page. For every
following
page, the merchant loses 10-20% of the readers.

The large majority of our clients have poorly designed (or not-designed-at-all)
websites.
They don't use tracking, analytics, etc.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

John McCreery