[lit-ideas] Re: Four events of note

  • From: david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 15:21:31 -0800

On Dec 9, 2015, at 3:14 PM, epostboxx@xxxxxxxx wrote:

The premier of which I made note occurred Dec. 8th, 1813. The piece of music
- parts of which the conductor Thomas Beecham likened to a lot of yaks
jumping about - is Beethoven’s 7th Symphony.

You’ve made my day. I went to a site to find the context of Beecham’s comment
and came upon this:

Most musicians absolutely love performing the Beethoven Sympony 7. Richard
Wagner, the epic opera composer, nearly frothed at the mouth praising it. He
called the "apotheosis of the dance", and to prove his point he performed a
solo dance to a piano transcription of the symphony.

The conductor Thomas Beecham wasn't too fond of the piece's energy though. He's
quoted as saying "What can you do with it? It's like a lot of yaks jumping
about”.
http://www.favorite-classical-composers.com/beethoven-symphony-7.html

Wagner and Madonna…[holds up two fingers, narrowly spaced]...this close.

David Ritchie,
not a Deadhead yet in
Portland, Oregon