[lit-ideas] Found in Translation

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:16:05 -0700

We are quite used to the concept of something being lost in translation. I've
been noting what automatic translators sometimes add. Here for example, with
the identities removed, is an exchange from my facebook feed. The original
language was Japanese.

From this little boobs and will go to the SCAMPI

14 days until now--do!

Done-nice!. Say bon voyage not!

Morning πŸ™‡ chocolate boobs and β†’ Hawaii β†’ I want to try is ^ o ^ I chocolate
boobs and β†’ Tama River stroll??

Say bon voyage ~ not!

Osann Masa! We haven't. I will go from 18 days! Lol

And there you have it, the complete exchange. A male wrote the original, the
ticket to Hawaii, but that may be a diversionary tactic. Osann is clearly a
reference to the German chemist and physicist Gottfried Osann. I wonder if
"little boobs" is a reference to the Ural mountains, where he nearly found
ruthenium. It's clearly all in code; should someone be alerted?

Here's the original post:

γ“γ‚Œγ‹γ‚‰γ‘γ‚‡γ“γ£γ¨γƒ―γ‚€γƒγ«θ‘Œγ£γ¦ζ₯ます

No doubt McCreery can explain all.

David Ritchie,
Portland,