[lit-ideas] Re: Found Poetry (Dillard)

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:23:56 +0100

John Wager wrote:

> Is it in "Holy the Firm" that Dillard describes watching a solar eclipse
> from the top of a moutain in Washington?  It's where she describes
> looking DOWN at the eastern plains below her, and seeing the darkness of
> half the world rushing at her at about 5,000 miles per hour.

It's in _Teaching A Stone To Talk_, in the essay entitled "Total Eclipse."
Dillard writes of: "the wall of dark shadow . . . speeding at us. We no
sooner saw it than it was upon us, like thunder. . . . This was the universe
about which we have read so much and never before felt: the universe as a
clockwork of loose spheres flung at stupefying, unauthorized speeds. How
could anything moving so fast not crash, not veer from its orbit amok like a
car out of control on a turn?"

"Living Like Weasels", a great favorite of mine, is also part of that
collection. Amazingly, it is available at this site - hope it is accurately
transcribed:

http://www.courses.vcu.edu/ENG200-lad/dillard.htm

Best, MN