[lit-ideas] Re: Found Poetry

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:58:30 +0100

Julie wrote of Annie Dillard:

<Please, *please* tell me you know "Holy The Firm".>

Yes, I do, very well. There is a flaming moth in the first part and in the
second, a burnt child. There are a great many great things in between. I
have most of her stuff and consider her a major American miracle. Her
writing is as much about her reading as anything else and I love the way she
connects all her unending readings in religion, philosophy and science with
each other and with what we all are from day to ordinary day, and the way
she looks steadily at what is atrocious and painful in the human experience
and embraces it. I do not know who else looks at such a wide world with so
careful and so poetic an eye.

<Still, my favorite of her "found  poems" from Mornings Like This to be
posted later after I get my children to  school.  Fair warning, merely.>

I look forward to it. Best, MN