[lit-ideas] Re: Found Poetry

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 05:38:48 EDT

I ran across Dillard's book of "found poems" several years ago, because I
worship her and am constantly looking for anything new she does.  Some of  hers
were less than spectacular, in my perception;  a handful were  priceless.
When I've gotten the children off to their respective  educational facilities
(hah) I'll type out a couple of my favourites from that  book, tomorrow; wait,
that's today.  God I hate this getting days/nights  mixed thing.  The one I
like
best is taken from a Medical  Instruction.  I think I shared a couple of them
with the list a very long  time ago and found they were not so much liked by
others as they were by my  self.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Found Poetry  Date:
4/25/05 1:55:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _nantongo@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:nantongo@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blogger Robert Hudson, writing in 2001, provides a  great overview of Found
Art and reminds me I still have to order Annie  Dillard's 1995 collection of
found poems, "Mornings Like This".   Article  at:

http://www.workingpoet.com/spout/spout07-01.htm

Excerpt:

"Take,  for instance, these closing stanzas to [Dillard's] poem "Hunter,"
which is  taken verbatim from one of my favorite books of all time, Michail
Prishvin's  "Nature's Diary" (sometimes titled "Jenseng: Root of Life"):

One lacks  words to describe what the deep forest
Is like at night when you know that  the great birds
Are asleep overhead. I lack words to give
Even a pale  description of all this marshland.

In the mist the artist stole up very  close and took aim.
It was like aiming at the rising moon. The mind
Works  in infinite spaces-yet haphazardly,  spreading."

<><><><>

Anyone got any found  poems to share? Best  MN