[lit-ideas] Found Poetry

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:54:52 +0100

Blogger Robert Hudson, writing in 2001, provides a great overview of Found
Art and reminds me I still have to order Annie Dillard's 1995 collection of
found poems, "Mornings Like This".  Article at:

http://www.workingpoet.com/spout/spout07-01.htm

Excerpt:

"Take, for instance, these closing stanzas to [Dillard's] poem "Hunter,"
which is taken verbatim from one of my favorite books of all time, Michail
Prishvin's "Nature's Diary" (sometimes titled "Jenseng: Root of Life"):

One lacks words to describe what the deep forest
Is like at night when you know that the great birds
Are asleep overhead. I lack words to give
Even a pale description of all this marshland.

In the mist the artist stole up very close and took aim.
It was like aiming at the rising moon. The mind
Works in infinite spaces-yet haphazardly, spreading."

<><><><>

Anyone got any found poems to share? Best MN