[lit-ideas] Fossil fuel depletion

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:12:14 -0700 (PDT)

I've heard it said that in keeping with human unwillingness to change, that
when (it's unknown when), people start to feel an actual impact of oil
depletion that they will move very quickly to make major changes, the way Pearl
Harbor motivated WWII.  So things may not be all that dire, and sky high prices
are a good thing.  Actually, I've heard it said too that the next economic
bubble will be in alternative energy technology.

  Also, peak oil adherents poo poo climate change as in the far distant future.
 But from what I've been reading, climate change is a lot closer than was
predicted and potentially much more devastating.  Peak oil will change the way
we live, once the dust settles, to a more simple , possibly more satisfying
lifestyle, but climate change can quite literally change the earth itself
physically such that it may become inhospitable.  Climate change is the issue
that really needs to be addressed, and ironically the way to address it is by
developing alternative fuels.  We all need to be riding bicycles, truly.
Warren Buffet is investing in rail after all.  The higher oil prices go, the
better off we're all going to be in the end.