[lit-ideas] Re: Forgetive (long--forget before or after reading)

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:25:01 -0700

Richard is right: one cannot really know how Shakespeare's players
pronounced 'forgetive' (nor can we really know how they pronounced
anything else). My only point here was that 'forgetive' and 'forget' do
not have a common root, and have only an orthographic affiliation. This
may yet of course turn out to be too hasty a conclusion in light of
Richard's second post on the subject; but I am still pondering that.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute