[lit-ideas] Forger

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:02:27 -0500

My last post today!

In a message dated 2/14/2015 6:38:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
>>Mike Geary writes
>>I have always  approached works of art this way.  All art should be
signed simply  "Artist".

and comments:
>This might go a long way towards  eliminating forgery.
>"Robert Paul"

A long way, but perhaps not _all_ the way. Elisabeth Mary Forger was a
well-known artist, and did not abide by Geary's rule. She preferred to sign her
 _collages_, simply, as "Forger".

Cheers,

Speranza

Reference:
"The Forger Family Tree Page", New Providence, NJ, USA.

ps2. Oddly, this connects with another recent post by R. Paul. The link he
provided read (more or less)

"Though tens of thousands of people in America
had heard the broadcasts [allegedly given by Ezra Pound] and
hundreds  could testify that they did recognize the voice of Ezra Pound,
the
truth of  the fact is that the only valid witness would be
anyone who could truthfully *swear* that the American
speaking into that microphone *was* the real Ezra Pound
and not a mere impersonator. After all, as Palma would agree,
'his [raspy] voice is pretty easy to imitate' -- [he provides a youtube
link],
that is, any studio technician at "Radio Roma". But surely
studio technicians have zillion other things to do than commit
to memory the features and intonations of a bearded weirdo
sputtering in what was to them a totally unknown,  foreign tongue."

And unless we have a real witness, the whole thing could have  been the
product of a forger -- or two?
---

It is fortunate, perhaps, that Ezra Pound's daughter, who is Italian,  did
care to translate those speeches into her Northern Italian vernacular.

She tells all about them in her "Discretions" -- a pun on her father's
book, "Indiscretions".

Ironically, her mother found "Discretions" pretty _indiscreet_ ("and
oxymoronic"), and mother and daughter did not speak, on account of that book,
for a couple of years (The daughter confessed that she went unrecognised by
Pound for a time, and the mother did not like that to go that public).

Ref:
Review of "Discretions":

"Nata dalla relazione tra il poeta statunitense Ezra Pound e Olga, Mary
inizialmente non viene riconosciuta dal padre."