[lit-ideas] Re: For our language mavens

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:11:17 EDT

No. I cannot explain the pattern. Laurence R. Horn, of Yale, MAY. I would
often discuss these and other patterns with him. I think that there cannot
be a  rule about this. And a "google hit" is just that: a statistical index.
I think  it's all contextual and intentional. And for ANY 'adjective' you
can add those  qualifying phrases that are mentioned in the article. To wit:

adj.

"fucking ADJ"

"ADJ as shit"

---

The idea behind the cartoon is a noble one, but the fact that they chose
those OBSCURE adjectives can only confuse, even if it's the whole point of it
 (the cartoon qua humorous thing).

--- Geary may have a different view. I think that the idea of 'zero-hit' is
 pretty senseless. Although it does have sense. If you go and quote what
the  cartoon holds to be a zero hit, and post it online, it will not be
'zero-hit'  anymore.

----- But I like the idea of experimenting with this. Austin and Grice once
 spent a whole term studying why 'highly' is used with "highly intelligent"
but  not "highly stupid". Grice used that as an example of 'language
mavens' without  a cause. The quote in "Reply to Richards" is pretty
interesting
and other  philosophers of the same Play Group recollected the anecdote with
some charm.  The whole point about Austin and Grice was a serious one. When
is a language  maven inquiry of philosophical interest and when is it not?
For Grice it ALWAYS  is --. In the case of the 'highly' stupid, I will have
to revise what he thought  the consequences for stuff were. Etc.

Speranza

In a message dated 9/27/2010 1:24:06 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Is _this cartoon_ (http://xkcd.com/)  fucking  marvelous or deep shit? Can
you explain the pattern?