[lit-ideas] Re: Flew: The Obituary

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:42:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/2010  3:28:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The  ditty was a favorite of my mother's.  She would use it to distract my
brother and I when we got at each other.
"A flea and fly were caught  in a flue
and didn't know what to do.
Let us flee, said the fly.
Let us  fly, said the flea.
So they flew through a flaw in the  flue"

----

Part of the problem is the tautology. Strictly,  etymologically speaking a
flea IS a fly (or a fly a flea, if you prefer). Back  before the conquest of
William, Anglo-Saxons would confuse the insects  ('flygend'). A flea was
thought to 'fly' in "little jumps" -- hence the name of  the insect. It was
considered that they did have wings (to fly). In later  times*, 'flee' was
used to mean 'to escape' but what was part of the sense then  is still part of
the sense now. You can find more about the flea and the fly in  wikipedia.
While similar in names, they belong to different genus, as McEvoy  remarks,
their feeding habits are also different.

J. L.  Speranza
---  * in Germany, when they did not have a "William the  Conqueror" they
still confuse, in plattsdeutsche, the flea with the fly  (dialectically) and
Otto von Fritz argues that the iso-glossalia corresponds to  this confusion.
for Pulex irritans ('the  flea'):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flea

----
for Diptera  Cyclorrhapha ('the fly'):