[lit-ideas] Re: Five to Ten Books

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:48:11 -0400

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - W. Shirer - It was my father's and I
read it when I was young.  My parents had been refugees during WW2 and
this book gave me my first sense of the larger context for the stories
they told me.

Short stories of J.L Borges

Twilight of the Idols - Nietzsche - Prompted me to switch my major to
Philosophy.

English-Speaking Justice - G. Grant - Convinced me that I belonged in
Theology and not Philosophy.

The Rule of Metaphor - P. Ricoeur - While much of it was too technical
for me, reading this book instilled in me a love and respect for
language.

Sherlock Holmes mysteries

Power and the Glory - G. Greene - I didn't actually like it when I first
read it but it has stuck to me for reasons I don't fully understand.

Illiad/Odyssey - Homer - My father told me stories from them and now I
tell my kids those stories.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON