[lit-ideas] Five Years Ago: John Wager's Questions

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:42:33 -0400

JW: in five years, the U.S. has not been able to find one person hiding in a hilly, remote area without all that many
civilian centers to worry about. Is the U.S. so weak that we cannot do this? Is there a reason we deliberately are not doing this?

Eric: Some partial opinions. If we violate Paki sovereignty, Mushareff will be ousted and replaced by a hardliner. That's the fear, as I understand it. Getting the Bin Laden varmint is not worth the blowback caused by entering Pakistan. However, if we can send the right ops inside and take him to Afghanistan, where we will then "capture him," it should work. That will take time however.

JW: In the same time it took the U.S. to go from military second-rate power ... to being a military super-power, the U.S. went ... to a country labeled by most of the world as an aggressor, a repressive government, and a military power that can't seem to defend its own troops against home-made weapons.

EY: Part of it is no doubt due to the impressive propaganda machine arrayed against the US. Part of it is certainly due to the nature of the American people, their economy, and the media/values world they live in.

The people: There are more of the selfish hippie people, who issue a kneejerk response to every war. This is an age of American nihilism, where people only believe in their own comfort--so many selfish hippies guarding their buzz. The kind of community that existed in WW2 is gone--partly for technological and partly for sociological reasons.

The economy: When WW 2 started, the US closed all its auto plants and began producing war materials. No new cars until after the war. After 9/11 everyone was encouraged to shop so the economy didn't flounder.

The media: Our media uses a Vietnam model for everything. The NY Times for example, started its quagmire crap a few weeks into the Afghan War, until it was shown to be ridiculous.