[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:35:55 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"Sorry, some of us can only TRY to be funny. I'll refrain."

You misunderstood.  I was not talking about you, but about puns.

Are puns an instance of humour?  It seems to me that puns are often
clever, witty, but I don't think they are humour.  However, and this may
only be my impression, don't puns attempt to be humour?  I enjoy clever,
witty conversation but there is something about puns that annoy me.  I
think it is that pretension of being humour.

Anyways, that is the background for my comment.  I apologize if it
seemed personal.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON