[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:19:14 -0700

Mike:

I won't take blame for misunderstanding your fairly anonymous statement
"that none of the root causes of 9/11 would be addressed."  You didn't
explain what you meant so I had only your previous writings and the
construction of this sentence to go by.  I have run across many other
Leftists who used the term "root causes of 9/11" to refer to the many evils
they fancy the US and Israel have perpetrated in the Middle East.  So I
assumed you were saying the same thing.  Anonymity with its attendant
vagueness does have its downside.

Actually, you hear almost nothing in the way of a reaction against the
colonists.  It's as though no one in the Middle East wants to talk about
that humiliating period.  They will say that the national leaders who
replaced the colonial governors were much worse than their predecessors.  So
it is your imagination that is at work in this area.

I don't find any psychological vertigo either.  The Islamists are absorbing
technology like sponges.  They make a point of coupling technology to their
ideology.  American culture is attractive to those exposed to it and Amis
amusing account of Qutb's exposure in Greeley Colorado is indicative.  Amis
some place describes a Puritan of Qutbist stripe standing under an American
stairway and disapproving of the skimpiness of the under garments American
girls wear.  You express sympathy for these "Wretched," but I would venture
to suggest that if a Fundamentalist Christian popped up here in Lit-Ideas
with just half of Qutb's moral Puritanism you would demolish him with "fury
and great anger" [a phrase from Pulp Fiction" ].

Ah ha, Qutbism would only be a symptom and not a cause if something like I
erroneously assumed were not so erroneous after all.

More than 100,000 have apparently accepted Qutbism at varying levels of
understanding.  But like every other belief the believers pick and choose.
Not everyone chooses to become a suicide bomber.  My nephew's wife's cousin
blew himself up in a Starbucks in Cairo; so I figure I've done my part.
Some of us have to stay behind and take care of the women and children.
It's not very noble or honorable I know, but someone has to do it.

Lawrence

  _____