[lit-ideas] Five Mornings

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 15:22:04 -0800

I'm trying to write some thoughts on the history of silence, maybe the taxonomy of silence, figuring out what kinds of quiet there are now, and how they may have changed over time. With quite the sense of timing, I've picked a morning when my neighbors' hirelings are out with their chain saws again.

When the fog has you peering forward, wondering whether the sun will come out today, or if it will end in tears, there's coffee.

The Historians' History of the World, complete set, twenty five volumes, must compete nowadays in the market place with the Fleas' History of the World, umpteen thousand volumes. Write another history is my advice. It worked for Hume, and there clearly aren't enough.

I wonder if you remember where you first learned to open a garbage bag, found where you are supposed to wiggle and press and separate the two sides. It's not taught in sex ed.

One of the strangest tasks I've undertaken is writing poetical prose on behalf of a fictional cat. The more I do it, though, the more I like the cat. Beat that, or a horse, for happiness.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon