[lit-ideas] Finishing up with emotions

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:22:52 -0400

I think the point that got lost in all of this is that people are emotionally
deaf to themselves.  The emotions are the body's way of taking in information
and conveying it to the brain (anger equals I've been hurt, sadness means I've
lost something, etc.).  Many, perhaps most, people are taught early on to shut
down this informational energy and force it to reroute into an activity of one
form or another, or into depression, or both.  War is a powerful means to
discharge energy, as is any violence.  Hence its eternal appeal.  Obviously the
emotions (the 'crocodile brain) evolved first, long before the 'thinking'
brain.  If we all became emotionally literate and found an effective,
nondestructive way to express this energy, the world would be very different.
That's what I was getting at with the 'don't just do something, sit there [and
not lash out blindly]'.  It's a variation on the 'first do no harm' idea.  I
didn't mean to be so abrupt with Julie for her interpretation of
  it.