[lit-ideas] Re: Filling in the Blanks: Lit-Ideas: A Survey

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:42 +0900

Has anyone mentioned John Wager?  His observation that moral judgment
implies ambiguity, since, if things are black and white, there is no
decision to be made has become a permanent part of things learned here that
I truly believe in.
John McCreery--Born in Savannah, Georgia on August 3, 1944. Parents moved to
Virginia, where I grew up in a pious Lutheran family with a wonderful place
on the water, at the head of Patrick's Creek, an estuary that flows into the
Poquoson River, which feeds into Chesapeake Bay. Escaped to Michigan State
University (B.A. Philosophy, 1966), then Cornell (Ph.D., Anthropology,
1973). Dissertation research in Taiwan brought me to Asia. Ruth, my wife and
partner for going on forty years, brought us to Japan in September, 1980. We
have lived here, in the same neighborhood in Yokohama ever since. I jokingly
say to my Japanese friends, *Hamakko ni naranai kedo, hamaguri gurai, *i.e.,
"I'll never be a Yokohama native, but I'm something  like a clam" (something
that drifted in and put down roots in the mud on which Yokohama is built).

For several years, I used the email signature, "In Taiwan I studied
magicians, in Japan I joined the guild," referring to my dissertation on the
symbolism of Daoist magic and my career as a copywriter and creative
director in the Japanese advertising industry.

I have a daughter of whom I am insanely proud, a wife and partner of whom I
am also insanely proud, and two wonderful grandchildren. Life is good.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN