[lit-ideas] Fiction and Fact

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:20:30 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/25/2011 11:01:30 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Popper has also said  on a number of occasions (including a letter he wrote
to me when I was a  teenager) that capitalism is a 'fiction' - and that he
does not defend the  fiction called 'capitalism'.

Usually, 'fiction' is contrasted with 'fact' ("I'm looking for
non-fiction").

On the whole, the distinction does not hold, though it may.

Many philosophers have abused, even, the word, 'fiction'. Bentham, among
them. It _is_ a good keyword in philosophical discourse, and I'm glad Popper
used it.

Cheers,

Speranza