[lit-ideas] Fetch it home by all means--you may serve it with greens

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:59:42 EDT

* Green, the Oxford philosopher who popularised the Boojum-philosophy of
Hegel in Oxford.
         (Gardner, The Annotated  Snark)

The Neo-Hegelians From Across the Street

In a message dated 7/12/2009 10:09:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx writes:
Look up the entry "truth, falsity and
correctness".  Try to reconcile what is said there with ANY of  what
you have written above.

---

I love Hegel. He is _so_ Oxford. Of course Grice was educated in the
non-Hegelian tradition (J. Cook Wilson) but most of the good philosophers of
the
late 19th century in Oxford -- that Grice calls 'minor figures' --
Bosanquet,  Bradley, McTaggart -- were Hegelians.

As Inwood notes, Hegel was confused about 'wahr' and its antonym. Instead
of 'falsch', Hegel preferred the noun, 'irrtum' which really translates as
'error'.

Inwood notes, "Rather than say that his opponent holds 'false' views, Hegel
 would say that he is mistaken."

Grice hated that. On one occason, he recalls, N. Wilson (the philosopher)
approached Grice -- vis a vis a minutiae in the analysis of 'meaning':
'intended  effect as 'perlocuionary'.

     "You do confuse 'perlocution' with  'illocution'"

      "Look, young man. I may be MISTAKEN --  but I'm certainly NOT
confused."

So, we do need an innocent notion of 'falsehood' that Hegel (not speaking
the Classicals) denied.

But my schema holds

                   p           ~p

                       ~~p

Only for Hegelians and neo-Hegelians ~~p does not reduce as it does to
Grice (and most sensible human beings) to p.

Inwood writes:

"Hegel does accept, though, that something can be true ONLY if it's not
self-contradictory".

Exactly. For ~ is contradiction, contradictory (rather than contrary)
negation -- although I find the '-dictory' bit otiose.

So we have "p", and its contradiction, "~p". And we contradict the
contradiction and while for most reasonable human beings we get the "p" that we

started with, for Hegel you raise up towards the Kingdom of Prussia with the
~~p  -- an otiose step in any philosophy worth her name.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina

Steps!