[lit-ideas] Re: Feral Dogs at the River

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:04:59 -0800

JL wrote

Very good story. My other favourite of ferals guarding, if that's what it is from Disney, "The Jungle Books" -- Mowgli. Although in both Lupa and Mowgli they were guarding something 'alive', as it were. As for dogs guarding the dead, my favourite has to go to Landseer's two paintings: the Sheperd's grave and the shepherd's coffin -- not ferals at all, so should not count.

The best-known story of a dog 'guarding' its master's resting place is perhaps that of Greyfriars Bobby, a Skye Terrier, who stayed (with breaks for food, etc.) by the grave of his master, John Gray, who died in Edinburgh in 1858, for fourteen years until his own death in 1872.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

Robert Paul