[lit-ideas] Re: Feminism's Failed Agenda?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:04:45 +0900

Without endorsing what Phyllis Chesler has to say (the bits quoted
suggest the usual overblown stereotyping characteristic of politicized
debate), I, for one, will note, as I have in several contexts for many
years now, the profound contradiction between the doctrine of
individual human rights, in which rights are attached to human
individuals and demands for equity rooted in attacks on categorical
discrimination, and extreme forms of multiculturalism that attach
rights to "cultures" conceived, like nations or corporations, as
hyperindividuals to whom real individuals are subordinate like cells
in an organism.

To me, the legitimate claims of multiculturalism are rooted in respect
for individuals. No one should be excluded from a job, a legal
protection, or respectful attention to what they have to say because
they are stereotyped in advance as a woman, a member of this or that
racial or ethnic group, a believer in some religion, etc.

To a fellow who left his parents' church and went off to study
philosophy and anthropology, the notion that parents (or other
authorities who place themselves in local parentis) should have the
authority to impose their views and/or rituals on their children is
profoundly repugnant.

To mistake a "culture" for a parent who can demand respect for himself
while bullying his children--that's absolutely ridiculous.

John

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku