[lit-ideas] Feelgood

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:59:22 EDT

Daddy Feelgood, She, Dr Feelgood

Geary writes:

>I include the lyrics to Re-hab by Stew
>(the Negro of The Negro Problem)
>which are much more  accessible than
>Daddy Feelgood and they're funny.

Thanks. I notice that the online source mentioned before -- a review of
Stew's CD --

_http://www.djangomusic.com/features/2001/010402_f6.asp?djc_
(http://www.djangomusic.com/features/2001/010402_f6.asp?djc) =

-- makes the connection between track 2 ("She's really daddy feelgood") and
track 4 ("Re-hab") -- below.

Geary calls (track 4) 'Re-hab' "much more accessible" than (track 2) 'Daddy
Feelgood". Must say it's still all a bit of a (negro) [interpretive]  problem
to me, which is just as well (all art aims at incomprehensibility) --  but I
hope the melody carries.

Geary is right that Aretha Franklin's "Doctor Feelgood" seems to be about
_stud_. Them's were the days when "Doctor feelgood" was, as the OED has it, a
_positive_ appelation. Then along came Ronald Reagan and the meaning  again
changed ("1981 Washington Post 14 Aug. A29/5 -- We have here a problem  that
Ronald Reagan is peculiarly suited to address. He is no phony Dr.  Feelgood. He
is
the Real Stuff." -- but perhaps the qualifier 'phony' is  relevant here).

The philosophical question here (for Wittgenstein) is  that 'feelgood' and
'begood' are synonymous ("I cannot _feel_ I  have toothache unless I _have_
it"), whereas for Grice, 'feelgood'  _implies_ ('implicatures') NOT begood (but
just _feel_ good -- for why not  say 'begood' if you _are_?)

Cheers,

JL

"Stew also has a feel for edgy, snarky tunes with a sting at the end of the
chuckle. On, "She's Really Daddy Feelgood," he profiles the existence of a
hipster drug dealer with a few clipped lines that perfectly sum up the
supply-and-demand lifestyle. For "Rehab" (possibly about a customer of "Daddy
Feelgood"?) he explores the 12-step dance with a bittersweet take."