[lit-ideas] Re: Far Right Christian Fundamentalism and Public Policy Pushers

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:23:20 +0700

John McCreery wrote:

"The problem is the tendency of the more enthusiastic groups to
transgress the separation of Church and state and insist that doing
whatever they see as God's will takes priority over the Constitution."

It seems to me that it is the nature of religious belief to hold that
God's will takes priority over pretty much all other authority.
Surely it cannot be _that_ belief that is the problem since it would
exclude the possibility of any religious belief.  (What frightens me
is the tendency of many Christians from the U.S. to believe that the
Constitution is a manifestation of God's will so that whatever is done
in the name of the Constitution is therefore also done in the name of
God.)  I also wonder how many people believe that other commitments,
such as to family, or justice, or peace, take priority over the
Constitution?

Could an example be given of how a Christian group has transgressed
the separation of Church and state?  I have, for example, heard of
church groups having their tax status challenged because of political
views being presented but this isn't a Church/state issue.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia