[lit-ideas] Re: Far Right Christian Fundamentalism and Public Policy Pushers

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:57:44 +0700

Marlena wrote:

"I hope to have some time this weekend to delve further into some of
your [i.e. Lawrence] thoughts, but wondered in regards to your
dismissing the public policy influence and pushes by the Christian
Right if you had ever heard of the Southern Baptist Denomination?  Are
you aware of who Richard Land is?"

I was under the impression that Lawrence was not dismissing the
influence of Christians, in fact acknowledging that Christians have
historically had a great deal of influence, but rather pointing out
the extent to which other modes of thought have become increasingly
influential as well.  Beliefs regarding one's relationship to one's
own body are rooted in much larger systems of belief and it strikes me
as being odd to claim that political advocacy on the basis of
non-religious systems of belief are somehow more legitimate or
neutral.

So, my question would be, why is political advocacy done by Christian
groups, fundamentalist, evangelical or otherwise, a problem?

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia