[lit-ideas] Re: Falkland and the Vicount

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:45:16 EST

Ritchie:

"Granted to the MacDuff Earls of Fife in  1160...blah, blah, blah...In the
18th century handloom weaving and in the  19th power-loom weaving brought
modest
prosperity but little  development, thus preserving the ancient layout and
close harmony of  the burgh...In 1970 Falkland became the first Conservation
Area in  Scotland.

Apparently the facade of Falkland Palace--"the earliest  essay in full
Renaissance architecture"-- is worth seeing, but  personally I'd go look at the
royal tennis court, since I've seen the  other one, which is at Hampton Court.
And
then I'd get a cup of tea and  a well- preserved National Trust bun.
Am I helping?"

Yes, sure -- especially since you are quoting from that
delightful encyclopaedia, Encycl. Scotland.

What I was wondering if the origin of the toponymy.

You must have a Dict. of Scottish Placenames (alla Dict.
of English Placenames).

My thought was the obvious one that

Falkland

means "falk" -- variation of 'folk', people

and "land"

-- but I haven't done a lot of research on 'falk', so
I do not know.

I see from what you wrote that the clan-name of
the Vicount Falkland is "McDuff" -- but was
wondering about the phrase 'falk-land' itself.

Especially, since it must border with other places
NOT called 'falkland', and since 'falkland' I'm
assuming means 'folk-land', then what was so
democratically especial about the land granted to
the vicount McDuff?

Cheers,

JL