[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:08:54 -0400

I had asked Eric Yost how he would determine 'solid content' (Eric's
words) without, at some point, doing a headcount.  In response, Eric
points out cases where mere headcount doesn't determine truth or
quality.  Of course, this isn't a response to my question since it
doesn't get us anywhere close to determining what 'solid content' might
be.  I will try again.

I agree with Eric that mere headcounts do not guarantee us truth or
quality.  What I would like to know is how Eric gets to 'solid content'
without, at some point, doing a headcount.  To get this going in the
right direction, I will suggest that a scientific theory is not
acceptable without there being a headcount in some form.  This headcount
might include peer review in journals and the more ephemeral 'accepted
by most scientists'.  Can a theory be considered 'solid' without this
kind of headcount?  Is a theory scientifically 'solid' if it doesn't
pass peer review?  I would furthermore argue that 'headcounts' are
necessary for any form of discourse that aspires to 'solid content'.  My
final point would be that 'headcounts' are not a matter of numbers but
an indicator of the coherence and veracity of that which aspires to
'solid content'.

Again, I would like to know how Eric determines 'solid content' without,
at some point, doing a headcount.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON