[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:38:25 -0400

Phil: This disappoints me because I really was interested in the idea of
the relationship between 'solid content' and headcounts.  However, as a
wiseman once said, we don't always get what we want.

Eric: But we can try this time and maybe you'll get what you need.

Let's try a premise susceptible to charges of elitism. Headcount of the
  highest quality opinion (elite headcount) will eventually produce
something like consensus on "solid content."

Call it the elite-headcount-over-time-yields-intellectual-headway
theory. As such, it seems unlikely to validate Christian fundamentalism
as respectable, because the very premises of Christian fundamentalism
seem opposed to the notion of an elite headcount.

Instead Christian fundamentalism could be temporarily ascendant by a
demotic headcount. Call it the Bozos-on-the-bandwagon-make-a-fad theory.

So now you can rip that to pieces and we'll have a thread.