[lit-ideas] Fairly boring

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:33:15 -0700

Omar wrote

Now, I must say that I find it odd that a Wittgenstein scholar would not
know where he died, especially since it was the place where he spent much
of his career. But no matter.

I reply

If I'm supposed to be the 'Wittgenstein scholar,' who did not know where
[Wittgenstein] died, I think you've got the wrong scholar, for I'm not a
'Wittgenstein scholar,' whatever that might mean—or imply. It's clear that
I got the date of his death wrong.

I'm sure I read the *Investigations* quite a bit before anyone else on this
list. In 1953, Anscombe's English translation of it was published; I
learned of it from Freddie Hagen, of happy memory, who had learned of it
from Oets Bouwsma, who has also passed on. Sometimes Freddie would pick up
the book, and read a passage from it aloud. We thought it was a very funny
book.

Robert Paul
Mutton College
Sheepskin NE