[lit-ideas] Re: Factivity of "See" (Was: Frege)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:48:27 -0500

Let me weigh in here, because as I see it, ignorance is not only bliss, it's
refreshing.  Herr Henninge worries that the case of the world is assumed to
be as we assume it to be.  Robert
"Somewhere-outside-Lake-Oswego-but-not-for-very-much-longer -- stay-tuned"
Paul laughs: "Ha, ha, ha," at Frege's denial that human psychology plays any
role in logic or mathematics.  Or maybe he doesn't.  I can't tell.  I do
laugh though.  And I have no problem doing so, since I don't know any logic
beyond my own desires, nor any math beyond the twelve's times table.  But
Jesus Grice! as Paul Stone once cried out,  here comes JL slinging his Grice
like some Medieval mace, not to mention crossbowing Macbeth and Banquo, and
why not?  It's all safely beyond our knowing.  I would think that the
existence of George W. Bush is proof enough that there is no non-sensible
something that insures that our preceptions of the world out there are not
inherently idiocyncratic.  How else explain the last 3 years?

Mike Geary
Memphis