[lit-ideas] Re: Facing the Islamist Menace

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:59:55 -0000

>The assertion of my lurker is countered by the assertions of two
Canadians.
>Is he wrong, or are they in denial?

First, I believed them.  Second, I quote from the piece you cite:

Sorya Gaulin, vice-president of public relation for Indigo,
sought to quell the brouhaha yesterday, saying the company has in
no way sought to boycott the book.

The company offered America Alone for sale as soon as it came out
in September, but it quickly sold out, she said. Ms. Gaulin could
not say how many books were originally ordered.

"Upon realizing we had grossly underestimated the demand for this
title, Indigo immediately reordered several thousand more books,
but Mr. Steyn's U.S. publisher was unable to fulfill our order
because they, too, underestimated demand in the U.S. and Canada,"
Ms. Gaulin said.

Like other book stores in Canada, Indigo is now waiting for
shipments that are expected to arrive this month, she said.

Mr. Steyn's U.S. publisher, Regnery, has said the book is in
reprint and that all back orders will be filled.

The company did not respond to inquiries yesterday.

In Ottawa, the Steyn book is available neither at Chapters nor at
such independent bookstores as Nicholas Hoare. A clerk at the
Nicholas Hoare bookstore said the book has been difficult to
obtain for Canadian retailers.

"Our speculation is that they're keeping the book in stock in the
States because of the demand there," said the clerk, who
identified herself as Stephanie.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

The assertion of my lurker is countered by the assertions of two
Canadians.
Is he wrong, or are they in denial?

Read the following for the answer:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=93dd37e9-a3ba-4788-84d
0-7512cee8277b
<http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=93dd37e9-a
3ba-4788-84
d0-7512cee8277b&k=92485> &k=92485

Lawrence

  _____

#6 on Canadas best seller list, you cannot buy the book in a
Canadian book
store.  Presumably it reached #6 through the benefit of
Amazon.com and its
like.  But is this true?  Have Canadian book stores refused to
stock Steyns
book and created what is in effect a Canadian book ban?

it's available at Chapters -- probably THE biggest bookseller in
Canada.  So
I don't know where you got your info.

Paul

Paul Stone