[lit-ideas] FW: Re: the latest body count

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:33:47 -0400

I wrote:
> Another unknown, and this is just personal speculation, is why the Iraqi
> people themselves don't do more to combat the insurgency, such as tip off
> the police and so on.  It's true that the police are infiltrated, but even
> so, it seems to me that the people can do more.  The only way I can
explain
> it is stating the obvious, that they see the Americans as occupiers and
> want them out, plus the Sunni minority of course feeds their end of the
> insurgency.

I woke up this morning thinking about this, and I thought, really, what
could the people do?  They're overrun with a tsunami of crime and violence.
All they can really do is call in tips to a police force known to be
infiltrated with insurgents.  It can be downright counterproductive in
addition to dangerous.  It's easy to see why Iraqis hate the Americans.
The U.S. promised them democracy and gave them shit on a platter, living
hell.  Now Bush wants to invade Iran, four years too late.  Yet the red
states still adore him.  Unfortunately, given al Qaeda's timing, it will be
the next president who will take the blame for the next attack.  If nothing
else, they'll blame godless Clinton.

BTW, I heard a discussion that the proliferation of suicide bombers started
with the bombing of the marine facility in Lebanon in 1983.  After that
bombing, Reagan pulled out the marines, and bingo, suicide bombing as a
major weapon was born.  Today all other forms of terrorism are down while
suicide bombings are the leading form of terrorism.

Andy