[lit-ideas] FW: Re: War and Panic

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:51:43 -0500

 It's curious that Hanson says that war has been the mainstay of
> mankind and peace the interlude, yet peace comes from war.  That's like
> saying a play comes from the intermission.  What am I missing about his
> premise, other than he likes a nice bloody war to end all wars?

Thinking and breakfast don't go together.  I got it backwards.  War leads
to peace the way a play leads to intermission.  That does work, but not in
the way Hanson is suggesting.  Peace then becomes not the fruit of a
decisive war but only a regrouping for the next act.  Especially since
history is ongoing.  It has no tidy ending the way a play does.  That's why
I don't do syllogisms.  On the other hand, all the world's a stage ...