[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:45:01 -0400

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 9/16/2005 12:19:02 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

In a message dated 9/15/2005 11:00:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Actually, these paragraphs make perfect sense to me.  All he's saying is
that what we don't want to face in ourselves we say the other guy is
feeling.  I hate you, but I'm scared of you, so I turn it around and say
you hate me.
Hi, Andy,
Okay, I think you are sort of, kind of, in a way--getting what he is trying to
say. At least closer to my interpretation. <wry look>

*I* think he is more than likely trying to say that I hate myself

A.A.  If you say we hate ourselves, then you have to explain where the hate for
ourselves came from.

but I'm scared of that feeling 'cause I'm not supposed to hate myself

A.A.  Even if we hate ourselves, we project that out to someone else.  I think
you've got it backwards.  We're not supposed to hate the other guy (love thy
neighbor).  We've learned over the years to mortify the flesh or whatever from
religion, to put the other guy first and so.  Therefore, at best we receive
mixed messages to love the other guy like ourselves, but not feel too good
about ourselves while we're loving the other guy like ourselves.

and I cannot dig deep enough to figure it out anyway. (without either my
psychoanalysis or Phil's...and we both know which one is real...maybe not
useful, but real...)

so I'll project that hate onto you and then see the hate coming back to me
(well, if you were carrying someone else's hate around,

A.A.  I'll project *my* hate onto you which I won't allow myself to acknowledge
and say it's really you hating me.  I'm not carrying anyone's hate except my
own.

wouldn't you want to be a mirror, too?

A.A. It's not a mirror, as I see it.  It's more like a movie screen.  It's even
called projection.  I don't see  my hate.  I've split it off.  Now I see your
hate for me, so it gives me an excuse to hit you.

Andy Amago

oops, he doesn't cover THAT in his paper, I bet...) and then there you are.
What else can you do but go fight it because you don't want to deal with that
in any sort of way.

I'm not explaining much better than the original author, I bet.

Hoping Andy digs deeper and can explain it better,
Marlena in Missouri