[lit-ideas] FW: Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:59:43 -0400

Actually, these paragraphs make perfect sense to me.  All he's saying is
that what we don't want to face in ourselves we say the other guy is
feeling.  I hate you, but I'm scared of you, so I turn it around and say
you hate me.  I've split off my hate and say it's really your hate for me.
The best part is, if you hate me, then I have a reason to attack you.  Add
faith to this and it's powerful stuff.  Rephrasing it using Bush, we can
say, Bush hates X, but Bush is scared of X.  Therefore, Bush turns it
around and says, X hates [the U.S.], so let's get em.  It's especially
powerful when one recalls that Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11.

Also, the Islamists aren't psychotic.  They hate us for a reason.  Yet, we
insist that we are 100% right and they're 100% wrong.  It's especially
interesting in light of Bush's attempts at a balanced life while he lives
in 100% land.   That and starting a war and heading for vacation.

The critical, and therefore negative, quality of the doubting self appears
to us as an attack on our faith, which can alone keep us whole. When the
unfaithful self is projected onto external objects, the aggression we
attribute to it becomes their aggression directed at us, their desire to
destroy our faith.  We must now mobilize aggression to protect ourselves
against the infidel, notwithstanding the fact that the threat he poses is
the threat of connection with our own split off and disavowed faithless
selves.

Since the infidel?s rejection of the good object is also our own, the
aggression we attribute to him is also our own aggression projected outside
and experienced as a threat to us.  The critical, and therefore negative,
quality of our doubting self appears to us as an attack on our faith.  We
must now mobilize aggression to protect ourselves against the infidel,
whose threat to us is the threat of connection with split off and disavowed
parts of our selves.  That is, the aggression mobilized against the infidel
is deployed for the purpose of maintaining separation from our own doubt.