[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: The Soldiier as Sacrificial Victim

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:33:34 -0400

Hater of what?  While we're at it, what did I project onto you?

> As to the 'Kemo Sabe' reference, I have heard several different versions
> of this joke.  What I wrote "'We', Kemo Sabe?" works as a kind of
> short-form of a longer joke and so works only if one knows the joke.
> But, if one is being pedantic, it doesn't work as the punchline for the
> joke even though it has the form of the punchline.  The problem is that
> the name 'Kemo Sabe' means 'faithful friend', which doesn't work for the
> joke.  Other versions of this joke have obvious racial implications, and
> so for equally obvious reasons are often avoided in 'mixed' company.
> Because it is raining, I give here the 'offensive' version:

Yours is the only version of the joke I know.  I take it to mean that
everybody is a fair weather friend and it's exactly supportive of Bush not
grabbing a gun and dodging a few bullets.  Obviously, we agree.

BTW, I don't care if you call me names, just tell me specifically what
motivates you to do so.  Otherwise, I'll just call you big ears and we'll
be even.