[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: New Orleans

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:20:59 -0400

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 8/31/2005 12:43:07 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: New Orleans

I think you may have missed what I was getting at.  Let me be a bit clearer.

The earth and its surrounding phenomena (weather, space, seas, etc.) are all
part of the environment which was designed for human life or which, if you
prefer, human life adapted to.  The tides, the moon, the air currents, the sea
swells and rotation of the planet, the warmth of the sun, the oxygen in the
air, all are a habitable place for the animal called human.  This stuff --
tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes -- are all just part of the earth's
functioning.  The "primitives" on the remote island knew their home and how to
cooperate with it and work with it.  Industrialized society has lost that
knowledge and has erected artificial environments that do not cooperate with
the natural course of the planet's functioning and pose enormous threat to
human life when some of earth's natural functioning occurs.  To blame a Creator
for the devastation of the hurricane is a little like blaming the
pharmaceutical company when someone overdoses on a prescription drug, resulting
in thei
 r death.

They misused something that was designed to be constructive and positive, and
it became something damaging.

A.A.   That's the old didn't the Creator know ahead of time that Adam was going
to eat the apple thing.  The Creator seems to get a kick out of the inability
to resist temptation that he programmed into humans.  By this argument, humans
need to be able to detect seismic shifts to know what to stay away from.  Also,
your scenario isn't possible with 6 billion or so inhabitants.  All the poor
saps did was go forth and multiply, as instructed ... At the very least you'd
think the old man would give his sheep a break, but no such luck, even in war
against the infidel.

Andy Amago

Julie Krueger
striving for clarity